Saturday, February 15, 2014

FETC 2014 The Experience: Building My Better


This year I had the opportunity to attend my first FETC (Florida Educator Technology Conference) conference with Tiffanie Timmons, a colleague from my school. The conference is held annually in Orlando, Florida during the month of January. Danny Forster, host of the Science Channel's "Build it Bigger" kicked off the event. His keynote addressed his work as an architecture and his passion for finding the deeper meaning behind the construction and development of the world's most scenic structures. From the One World Trade Center at Ground Zero in New York to the world's tallest building Kalifa, in Dubai, Forster offered a simplistic rendering of the building's designs and key features. His message of developing curiosity and reasoning through STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) education inspired the crowd.

During our three days at the conference we attended workshops, viewed virtual labs and demonstration sessions, participated in raffle drawings, observed the wonder of 3-D printing, experienced google glass (blew my mind),  and of course extensive visits to the exhibit hall.

Google Glass, Amazing!
3-D Printer

Even with all of the excitement and happenings surrounding FETC we kept our focus. We were commissioned with the task of finding ways to better utilize the technology we already have at our school. We came away with some pretty awesome ideas and we are currently working on building a "menu" of topics to showcase what we learned with our school. 


With that being said, what I personally took away from the experience was the face time. The time I got to spend with other educators who were more than willing to share their love and knowledge of teaching. Those that were passionate about engaging students and making sure that students came first no matter what. One of these face time moments happened during one of the morning sessions when I got to meet Jon Bergmann and was interviewed for a segment for his podcast called, "The Flipped Side" through BAM Radio (more about that in an upcoming blog post). Another face time moment happened at the FETC "tweet up" held at TGIF.  It was so great to see (in person) many of the educators that I have connected with through twitter. Being in a room with Jerry Swiatek, Jerry Blumengarten, Adam Bellow, Kathy Schrock, Carlos Fernandez, Stephen Veliz, Stacey Roshan, Tom Whitby, and many others was an amazing experience. 

However, the intimate face time moments spent talking, laughing, planning, searching, wondering, learning, questioning, and "building my better" were all done with Tiffanie Timmons, my friend, my colleague. 

Building my better comes with a price, a price not easily understood by the educators I share most of my time with. So, I find myself connecting with others that get it, that get me, that help me build my better. Twitter has been my outlet and what an awesome way to connect with educators all over the world! I've learned and gained so much through these interactions. But this time, the time during FETC 2014, I was connected to Tiffanie. She's not on twitter, she doesn't have a blog, she's not your stereotypical "connected" educator. She is an educator in my county, at my school, and she gets it. 

My name is Celeste, I'm a work in progress, and I'm building my better. 

Who helps you Build Your Better?

Live, Laugh, Learn

Celeste Clemons



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...