Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Big Chop

Sunday, March 18, 2012 was my official big chop day. I had been transitioning for 15 months and decided it was time to get rid of those stringy relaxed ends. I was getting anxious and by Friday I was ready to get the scissors. But I decided to wait a couple of days to see if I still had the urge to cut. Funny thing was that I did still want to cut my hair but I wasn't as anxious and I didn't have that impatient feeling that I had 2 days prior. I was very calm and relaxed. I knew I was ready so I began to cut, cut, and cut some more. I love my natural hair! I don't feel liberated in the way that others have describe their experiences. I think that in order for me to feel liberated I would have had to think that I was in bondage to my relaxed hair. Having my hair relaxed was a choice that I made. I was able to grow my hair to APL with a relaxer (can't wait to see where I can grow without one). I do believe that the difference now is that I can choose to wear my hair natural or relaxed armed with an educated view of either choice. I am free to choose wisely. With that being said I have chosen to be natural. 
Yours Truly~Freedom


Notes:
Big Chop or BC- cutting the relaxer out of your hair until you reach the new growth
Transitioning- letting your relaxer grow out until you are ready to cut off the relaxed ends
APL- arm pit length

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...