Sunday, July 15, 2012

Big Chop = Big Step

transitioning to natural hair big chop day
My Big Chop Hair
Like myself, many of you reading this have transitioned to natural by taking care of your hair and letting it grow until you were ready to cut off the relaxed ends. 

Others may have simply cut off their hair with very little to no transitioning time and rocked a low fade or TWA.

Whatever the case may be, Big Chop=Big Step. 

I transitioned for a total of 15 months. This time frame worked for me. I didn't have a goal date set as to when I would cut my hair. I just wanted to transition until I got to a length that I was comfortable with or until I felt ready to cut. At 15 months post relaxer, I was comfortable with the length AND I felt ready. I haven't looked back since. 

You Tube and Hairlista have become my ultimate hair resource. What I mean by this is that these sites are places where you can find real people sharing their real hair stories. However, while I was transitioning I realized something. I realized that I could sit and search for BC stories all I wanted and get advise on how to BC, when to BC, how I should feel about BC'ing, how others may react to my BC, etc. but I had to take it just for what it was, advice. No matter how much or how little, how good or bad, it was all advise. At the end of the day, it was my choice, my hair, my decision. 

For those of you that are thinking of transitioning to natural, the best advise I have received and could give is this: You have to do what you feel is right for you. You have to know that you are comfortable with yourself no matter what you do to your hair. Cutting your hair will not hide any insecurities you have, more than likely it will bring them out. 

While I was transitioning I had to worked through my insecurities because if I wasn't comfortable with me, others wouldn't be either. I had to work through all the "what if's", doubts, and fears. It's a good idea to write down what you are feeling and how you plan to deal with the emotions that come with this decision. This way you have an idea of how you are going to respond when things come up after you cut your hair. Because cutting your hair is a Big Step.

I never understood why people would transition to the point where they only had 2 inches of relaxed ends left but struggled with the idea of cutting it off. That was UNTIL IT WAS MY HAIR!. Then I could relate. So much of who we are is tied up in the image of our hair. So for most of us, it doesn't matter how much or how little we have left to cut off. It's still a Big Step. 

Yes, BC for some may be, "I shaved my head" but for others it may be, "I finally cut off those last 2 inches." The BC is different for everyone who experiences it no matter how "BIG" the Big Chop or how "little" the Big Chop. It's still a BIG STEP! 

Have an opinion on the matter? Comment.

Yours Truly~Freedom

4 comments:

  1. I transitioned for 9 months, then cut all my relax ends off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine months, just like giving birth, a new journey begins. Luv it!

      Delete
  2. I know I'm late but congrats girl :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...